GTAVice.net
Navigation
Home What's New? News Forum Info FAQs
Audio
Soundtrack
Hints and Tips
Guides Cheats
User

Welcome, Guest. If you have an account, please log in below.

Login
Register

Need an account? Registration is now open!

Create an Account
GTAVice.net Background Image

GTA-SanAndreas.com Relaunch

Replies
Created
Views
Psy's Avatar Image
Psy Staff
Posted (Edited)
Posted (Edited)

Since the start of this year I've been re-building my original fan site, GTA-SanAndreas.com, from scratch. It was originally launched in 2003 but has never been updated for modern devices or to be mobile friendly, so I've gone through and created a brand new responsive template as well as reformatting, and in most cases, re-writing the content.

I'm currently playing through GTA San Andreas on iPad (thanks to Netflix) and capturing brand new screenshots of everything so over time I'll update all of the content and imagery. I'm working on rewriting and updating the story mission guides as I go.

I built the 100% checklist from scratch and it'll now remember what you've marked off and calculate a live "completion progress" as you check stuff.

Could you please give the website a test on your computer and mobile devices and let me know if there are any issues?

There are more ads on that site than others, primarily because it's more of an archive than a live site, but if they're blocking your access to buttons or features, I'll need to look into them.

Cheers!

Edited by Psy
Ant's Avatar Image
Posted (Edited)
Posted (Edited)
Replying to Psy
Posted
 Since the start of this year I've been re-building my original fan site, GTA-SanAndreas.com, from scratch. It was originally launched in 2003 but has never been updated for modern devices or to be mobile friendly, so I've gone through and created a brand new responsive template as well as reformatting, and in most cases, re-writing the content. I'm currently playing through GTA San Andreas on iPad (thanks to Netflix) and capturing brand new screenshots of everything so over time I'll update all of the content and imagery. I'm working on rewriting and updating the story mission guides as I go. I built the 100% checklist from scratch and it'll now remember what you've marked off and calculate a live "completion progress" as you check stuff. Could you please give the website a test on your computer and mobile devices and let me know if there are any issues? There are more ads on that site than others, primarily because it's more of an archive than a live site, but if they're blocking your access to buttons or features, I'll need to look into them. Cheers!  
Edited by Psy

The below I didn't input the br html tags, it seems to have been added by the site after I clicked reply.

Very impressive Psy, everything looks well. I have tried on mobile and come across the following:

Gangs Page is showing just a generic page with none of the normal site background/headers etc.

Hidden Challenges, Imports/Expots Map link is just a link to the image with now general website layout around it to get back to the site (apart from using the back button).

The initial ad I see on most pages takes up a lot of screen space on mobile which is a bit off putting and the content is further out of reach, a smaller banner ad might be better on mobile for the first one and then the larger ones after that?

--

Love the new screenshots in the Cheats section showing the actual cheats.

Really brought back a lot of nostalgia going through the old site and seeing older screenshots as well, the image viewer works well on mobile and definitely easier than clicking each image.

Suggestions:

Would it be possible to locate the actual videos for the Official Videos page and have them embedded. I know they were taken down from Rockstar's site but found another fansite on YT has a playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLivysfMHKCn5NIoLLjg_CcebAg-5WFo3X (not sure what the rules are about hosting those on the site might be)

It would be good if the glitches page was updated to show if the glitches were updated in subsequent versions (or if there were new ones).

All of the updated maps pages, would be good to have these start with the map located at number 1 for each.

Edited by Psy
Psy's Avatar Image
Psy Staff
Posted (Edited)
Posted (Edited)
Replying to Ant
Posted
The below I didn't input the br html tags, it seems to have been added by the site after I clicked reply. Very impressive Psy, everything looks well. I have tried on mobile and come across the following: Gangs Page is showing just a generic page with none of the normal site background/headers etc. Hidden Challenges, Imports/Expots Map link is just a link to the image with now general website layout around it to get back to the site (apart from using the back button). The initial ad I see on most pages takes up a lot of screen space on mobile which is a bit off putting and the content is further out of reach, a smaller banner ad might be better on mobile for the first one and then the larger ones after that?-- Love the new screenshots in the Cheats section showing the actual cheats. Really brought back a lot of nostalgia going through the old site and seeing older screenshots as well, the image viewer works well on mobile and definitely easier than clicking each image. Suggestions: Would it be possible to locate the actual videos for the Official Videos page and have them embedded. I know they were taken down from Rockstar's site but found another fansite on YT has a playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLivysfMHKCn5NIoLLjg_CcebAg-5WFo3X (not sure what the rules are about hosting those on the site might be) It would be good if the glitches page was updated to show if the glitches were updated in subsequent versions (or if there were new ones). All of the updated maps pages, would be good to have these start with the map located at number 1 for each.
Edited by Psy

I fixed your post. Not sure why it added all of those br tags in. Which browser / device are you using?

Fixed the gangs page, well spotted. The header wasn't being included for some reason.

The hidden challenges and import / export maps have always been stand-alone pages and they used to be pretty popular pages with google sending lots of traffic so I didn't want to change too much in case they fell down the rankings but I've changed them over to include the website template now making it easier for people to get to other pages.

I've removed the top ad (temporarily) to improve user experience. I'll need to see how it affects clicks on the ads cos that website is pretty important to generate enough ad revenue to pay for all of the server costs. Sadly Google just decides on the best ads to show, and for whatever reason it thinks large square ones are better than smaller rectangular ones which I agree doesn't look great.

I'm glad you like the screenshots on the cheats page. It took me about 6 hours yesterday to go through and take them all! There are also new screenshots on the Tags Map, with more coming to the other pages soon.

I should be able to embed the youtube videos onto the videos page but I'll see if I can find the raw sources anywhere first.

If I spot any glitches as I continue my current playthrough I'll add them to the page. Some of them aren't easy to do a comparison with as they're totally random but there are a few which I can try to recreate in the definitive edition.

I do actually plan on having a toggle to switch between old (PS2) screenshots and the Definitive Edition ones I've taken on iPad, particularly on the story mission guides, so the nostalgia won't be lost completely.

I'm going to create a Tags, Oysters, Horseshoes and Snapshots guide to go along with the maps, explaining each location rather than just showing a screenshot. I planned on doing it when I did the original site but had so many other guides to create I thought the maps were good enough. Making them start from 1 when you view the map isn't really feasible with the way I've done it, but I have been re-ordering the actual links so the pop-up image viewer will let you scroll through them in numerical order.

Thanks for all of the feedback, much appreciated! Let me know if you think of anything else.

Edited by Psy
Ant's Avatar Image
Posted (Edited)
Posted (Edited)
Replying to Psy
Posted
I fixed your post. Not sure why it added all of those br tags in. Which browser / device are you using? Fixed the gangs page, well spotted. The header wasn't being included for some reason. The hidden challenges and import / export maps have always been stand-alone pages and they used to be pretty popular pages with google sending lots of traffic so I didn't want to change too much in case they fell down the rankings but I've changed them over to include the website template now making it easier for people to get to other pages. I've removed the top ad (temporarily) to improve user experience. I'll need to see how it affects clicks on the ads cos that website is pretty important to generate enough ad revenue to pay for all of the server costs. Sadly Google just decides on the best ads to show, and for whatever reason it thinks large square ones are better than smaller rectangular ones which I agree doesn't look great. I'm glad you like the screenshots on the cheats page. It took me about 6 hours yesterday to go through and take them all! There are also new screenshots on the Tags Map, with more coming to the other pages soon. I should be able to embed the youtube videos onto the videos page but I'll see if I can find the raw sources anywhere first. If I spot any glitches as I continue my current playthrough I'll add them to the page. Some of them aren't easy to do a comparison with as they're totally random but there are a few which I can try to recreate in the definitive edition. I do actually plan on having a toggle to switch between old (PS2) screenshots and the Definitive Edition ones I've taken on iPad, particularly on the story mission guides, so the nostalgia won't be lost completely. I'm going to create a Tags, Oysters, Horseshoes and Snapshots guide to go along with the maps, explaining each location rather than just showing a screenshot. I planned on doing it when I did the original site but had so many other guides to create I thought the maps were good enough. Making them start from 1 when you view the map isn't really feasible with the way I've done it, but I have been re-ordering the actual links so the pop-up image viewer will let you scroll through them in numerical order. Thanks for all of the feedback, much appreciated! Let me know if you think of anything else.
Edited by Psy

Thanks Psy! If I spot any thing else, I'll let you know.

I'm not sure what caused the HTML tags to show - was posted from a macbook using Chrome, nothing out of the ordinary that I can think of.  

Love the idea of retaining the nostalgia by being able to toggle between the types of screenshots. 

It really is a shame that Rockstar didn't keep any of the OG sites around but I suppose their use of Flash is probably what prevents it. 

Thanks for the transparency on everything.

Edited by Ant
Posted

I thought officially Rockstar decided to relaunch the GTA San Andreas

Hi Guest! If you'd like to join in with the conversation, please Register for an account and Log In.